Saturday, January 23, 2010

Mater

Ever since we came back from Disneyland Brody has been asking for a Mater truck from the movie Cars. His friends Zack & Jake both had one and the first night there they let Brody borrow it and he slept with it all night. I told Brody he 'might' get one for his birthday.

Fast forward to today where we had a birthday party to attend. I debated about whether to take Kat or not. She is over her cold but will start coughing if she runs around too much. So big mistake on my part to take her to a party that has ramps and slides and jumpy things to RUN AROUND. After about her third coughing attack I decided we just needed to leave. I could feel the weight of the other mother's eyes looking at me - I was 'that' mom who brought the sick kid to the party. Maybe they weren't judging me and it was all in my head, but I knew we had to go. So in my desperation I did what I could to get them to leave without having a scene. I bribed them with the Mater truck. It worked, so straight to Toys R Us we went. Luckily Kat wanted one too, so I don't have to hear 'mine' and 'gimme' over the Mater truck all day tomorrow. And when we got back from the store, our wonderful friend brought us over some pizza and cake from the party so that we didn't miss out on too much. I'm sure I did all kinds of things wrong today (take sick kid to party, bribe said kids with toys). Hopefully tomorrow I will make a few better decisions involving my kids. Today kids "1" parent "0".

7 comments:

Rachael Schepemaker said...

Give yourself a break! I wish you would have stayed. I really didn't think Kat was sick or contagious. Anyway, glad you enjoyed the pizza and treats!

jennbecc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brooke said...

Awwww!!! I think we all have had those "what was I thinking" moments. Glad you were able to salvage the day, every once in awhile a bribe will work.

Jennifer said...

hey, we all have days that we do what we have to do!!!

Jill said...

I don't think it was wrong to entice them to leave the party. I think its a problem if that is what you have to do a majority of the time.
I love that picture. Darn you're good.

jennbecc said...

We were happy to loan Mater out to Brody. Glad K&B got their own. Mater is cool! :)

Katie said...

Hey, if the kids are alive and not fighting, I say you did a wonderful job that day! ;)