Monday, October 19, 2009

Just me and my dad

This weekend my dad and I took a spur of the moment trip to San Diego for 3 days. We were both desperate to get out of town and San Diego seemed like a good spot. As kids we went to San Diego for vacation every year, sometimes twice a year. So this past weekend was a weekend of reflection and an attempt to get away from the tears for a few days. We spent the better part of our time visiting spots that we went to years ago when it was the four of us. Mission beach, old town San Diego, Point Loma, Sea Port Village, and more. We strolled along the board walk and looked for houses that we stayed at when we were younger. I swear if I closed my eyes I could picture all four of us walking on that board walk again. My mom's hair extra curly from the damp air and my sister's long, skinny legs runny along side of us.

I brought my camera with me to take some scenic pictures. It was foggy the majority of the time we were there, but on our last day the sun broke out. My dad and I were sitting on a bench, drinking our Starbucks and sitting under this tree. I looked up and saw the sun beaming through the leaves. I thought it was pretty. But I actually liked the fog too. It felt appropriate.



One of the highlights of the trip was visiting my great aunt Janet Richards. She was married to my great uncle, Sim Bruce Richards, who died many years ago. I have always wanted to visit with Janet because I loved reading about Bruce and remember from when I was a child how friendly he was to us kids. He was an architect and artist and I wish I had gotten a chance to know him as an adult. Janet is 93 and living in the house they built with their own hands more than 60 (maybe 70) years ago. She was the spriest woman I have ever met. Living on her own and still driving. A very caring and creative woman. I just wandered her house looking at all the art and admiring her garden. She fed us lunch and even that was made in such a creative way. After we left her house we both talked about what a neat woman she was and how great it was to sit and talk with her for a few hours. She blessed our visit, that's for sure.

Janet

The view of the bay from her back window. I could sit and stare for hours.

The 100 year old stove that she still cooks on.


The other highlight was just spending time with my dad. I introduced him to sushi. He took me on tours of the town and told me stories of his visits when he and my mom were younger. It was nice and a much needed get away for the both of us. However, it was still bittersweet. Nice to get away, but sad because Stephanie is still gone. I know that some day one (eventually both) of us will no longer be here. So we plan to do this as often as we can while we can. Next trip will include Greg and the kids. It's time to start building our family memories and vacations now.

And to end this post (because I can just hear my sister saying 'geez Joanna, you're depressing') here is a picture of Kat and Brody laying hands on Quinn.




10 comments:

Cass said...

As your childhood neighbor for forever, I can vouch that your family went to San Diego every year, all the time it seemed like. I was envious. I wish your mom and Steph could have been there with you this time.

I'm so sorry, Joanna.

Connor's Blog said...

Sounds like you and your Dad had a nice journey of healing together. I too, like your friend Cassie, wish Steph and your Mom could have been there with you this time. I'm glad you and your Dad got away together - sounds like a nice break from things, taking a stroll down memory lane.

Rachael Schepemaker said...

Joanna, I think your mom and Steph were there with you...just looking down and not up. I hope the trip helped with the grieving process. I hope you never forget all of the past memories and the new ones you are making now.

PS: Sally, your favorite lady from Target, asked me about you and where you have been. She said to tell you that she misses you, is sorry for your loss, and loves you!

Jennifer said...

sounds like you and your dad had a nice healing weekend together. I am sure that was nice in a bittersweet way. I am so sorry for your loss and just continue to pray for healing.

Anonymous said...

joanna, I think about you every day. I'm glad to hear that you and your dad were able to get away together. Your pictures, as always, are breathtaking. my prayers are still with you and stephanie's family.

shelly

Jill said...

Joanna, your pictures are perfectly beautiful. I loved reading about your memories. Your Aunt Janet looks GREAT. Wow. I'd love to be that capable when I am that age. And her stove is just so awesome. to think of all the meals she has made on that.
It's funny to think that now we're making memories for our kids and they are getting to the ages where they will remember more and more long-term.

Vicki said...

Joanna, the foggy pictures were awesome, and the "laying on hands" made me laugh!

jennbecc said...

Beautiful pictures Joanna and I'm so glad you and your Dad got to have a weekend together. I'm positive your Mom and Stephanie were there with you in spirit because come on, who would turn down a trip to San Diego?!? :) Hugs to you my friend!

stephanie said...

what a wonderful post. except, i need to read your blog when i'm alone. ella's asking, "why are you crying mom?"

my heart breaks for you and your dad. :(

Jim and Cindy said...

That fog is something else...eerie and beautiful photo.