Friday, March 20, 2009

A few extra gray hairs


Today I had a Brody scare. It all began last night when he fell on the one and only spot where we have tile. We seriously only have 6 squares of tile in our house and Brody managed to find it and fall really hard on his head. I watched it happened but couldn't catch him in time. He cried some serious tears for awhile but then was up and on his way again like nothing happened. We watched him really close all night, especially after hearing of Natasha Richardson's death. So today I took them to the mall play area to let them burn off some energy and while we were there he fell off a slide. Nothing serious or high up, and he broke the fall with his arms. But when he went to get up he couldn't stand and kept falling over. I helped him up and he took a few more steps and fell again. He kept trying and kept falling. I watched him do this a few times and went into full panic mode thinking of last nights big fall. So off we went for an emergency doctor appointment. Luckily they saw us right away. They looked him over really good and said that he didn't show any signs of a head injury. But Brody was still limping and walking funny so the doc checked out his legs and they both seemed to be fine. During all this he never fussed or acted like he was bothered by anything. So back home we went, me a little worried I over reacted, but feeling better that I took him in. He tripped a few times as soon as we got home but after his nap he was back to his old self. So I have no idea what to make of it other than he may have pulled a muscle in his leg. I think he is fine, me I'm not so sure. I had too many scary scenarios going on in my head and I know it's only the beginning. I have no idea what kind of falls and ER visits having a boy will bring, but I'm thinking it might be quite a few. The good thing out of all of this is that Brody was such an angel today. We have been battling the terrible twos and he has become one bossy 2 year old. But today, none of that. Maybe the fall did do a little good?

6 comments:

The Hayes Family said...

Oh MY! How scary!! I'm so glad you took him in and everything checked out. It sounds like he must have done something that made him uncomfortable when he fell off the slide. I'm SO glad he's ok! NO MORE SCARES, BRODY!!

Connor's Blog said...

That is so scary! I would have been at the ER too! Glad he is okay. I cringe everytime Connor clunks his head on our tile, and it is often! I need more carpet.

Rachael Schepemaker said...

I would have done the same thing you did! I'm so sorry you had to experience that. Landon is all better now so maybe you guys can come over on Thursday. Let me know.

Erin said...

Yikes- I'm so glad he's OK. And you did not over-react. Always go with your mom instinct. That's why God gave it to us :) And yes, I'm pretty sure boys bring gray hair faster, but that's what hair color is for :)

Jill said...

Nicholas fell backwards off a kitchen chair on friday too, but he was also acting fine. Now we'll all be extra worried after Natasha richardson's death! As if we don't have enough to worry about! Lets just buy some bike helmets and have them wear them around the house. lol
His hair is so cute with the little flippy's on the side. :)

Katie said...

I haven't been to your blog in SO long and had so many posts to read. But this one scared me to death! Especially b/c Drew fell THREE times and hit his head on concrete this weekend. I feel like I need him to wear a helmet 24/7! Thank God that nothing is wrong with Brody because that is a really scary one. But I think you're right-- this is only the first of many scares as we raise these boys! ;)

Oh and BTW... Brody looks like such a big boy now!!