Tuesday, July 29, 2008

New Heights


Climbing is such fun! Brody discovered that the sofa table makes for a good spot to stand. He was so proud of himself that instead of taking him down immediately, I had to take a picture. But once he got down he found more mayhem to get into on the floor:

This is the mess he made in about 2 seconds. That kid is fast, he can throw diapers and books out of the basket like he's playing ball or something. The real treat came after I cleaned it all up and he did it again. I finally just left it until I had them buckled in their highchairs.



I bought some go-gurts this week and Kat & Brody love them. They make a huge mess, but they have fun sucking out the yogurt. It's also nice for me because I can leave them in their highchairs with it while I run upstairs and get their bath ready. No worries about choking or anything, I like that.

Today I taught Kat how to ask nicely for me to read to her. This has been an on-going battle in our house. She takes a book and pretty much throws it at you and sits and waits to be read to. If you don't immediately read to her she throws a big tantrum. I love that she loves book, but some days it's a little too much to take. On the weekends Greg & I go back and forth "mommy will read to you" "no daddy will read to you". It's like book tag :). I don't know if this is correct sign language, but I made the hand gesture like a book is opening and signed please afterwards and said "read please". She caught on really fast and now when she comes at me with a book she will do that. She still tends to throw the book at you, rather than hand it to you, but hey it's a start. I hope this means she will be an early reader!

8 comments:

Rachael Schepemaker said...

What a great idea to teach her sign language. I was trying to get Taylor to say please today, she never did, but I need to reinforce the hand movements instead. Love the photos. Why does it take 2 minutes to clean up a mess that was created in 2 seconds!

Jennifer said...

Love that pic Joanna!! Are they just little monkeys right now? Climbing on everything! My boys can make a mess like Brodys in seconds too!
You did the right sign for 'book'!!! Thats one of the boys favorite signs! Great to pair it with 'please' and good for Kat to say 'book please'!!!! Good job! I love sign language! I think it has decreased so much frustration in our house!!!

jennbecc said...

OMGosh! Brody on that table is so cute but so scary at the same time! I'm glad that climbing makes them happy but it scares me to death! That's great that Kat loves books and that she picked up the sign quickly. Nothing like a board book hitting you right on the knuckle! There is a video on my sisters blog of her little boy reading....he turned 3 in March and can read pretty much anything you put in front of him....it's crazy!

Kristen said...

Wow I think if I saw Brody on that table I might have fainted! He looks so proud of himself though doesn't he! Summer used to do the throw the book thing too. I guess it's just something some of them do. I started handing it back and saying hand it to me nicely and that worked but it never even occurred to me to sign for it! Very smart of you!!

Jill said...

I was going to say you did the correct sign for book too and I see Jennifer helped you out with that one too. :) Good for you for teaching her that!!! I can imagine it would get tiring to have to read all the time. You have things to do too. She will probably be an early reader like you said.
I would've grabbed the camera for Brody's new trick too. ha ha

Connor's Blog said...

Girl, I would code if I saw Connor up on a table! Also, that is one big mess - aye, something to look forward too ... I'm sure Connor will be making messes like that. Also, where did you get those bibs? I need some of those!

Anonymous said...

okay, I had to laugh at the mess. sorry....

shelly

Katie said...

That Kat, I tell ya-- she is a woman who knows what she wants (and NOW). I hate to say I'm cracking up at her throwing a book at you, like-- come on, I said!! It is so wonderful that she not only made the connection with the signs, but is responding to it. ;)