Sunday, July 27, 2008

A hard age

Kat and Brody will be 18 months in a week and I am discovering that is is a pretty hard age to be at. They are both wanting more independence, but don't follow direction very well and get frustrated super easy. They don't want to sit in their stroller when we go out, but will not hold your hand when we walk. They have discovered if they scream really loud in public, that I jump pretty fast. And whining is their number one language right now. I think the colds they had didn't help matters, but I have to say this age is tough! I can tell the days are long and hard because Brody has his pacifier most of the day and the Noggin channel is on more than usual. I'm hoping it will be uphill from here, but I'm afraid that might not be true.

A quick video to illustrate my point:



We had a pretty quiet weekend since Kat has been too sick to take out. We didn't even get to go to church, but we did attempt swimming. We were dog-sitting for my dad & Paula who are out of town so we thought we'd take advantage of the pool. They both cried as soon as they saw the water. I'm not sure where this fear of the pool came from because they like their baths. Most kids I see their age love to swim. We didn't push the issue since I don't want them to have a huge fear of the pool. Instead they played with the dogs and had a blast chasing after them.

A couple of pictures of Brody from the weekend. I didn't get much of Kat since she wasn't feeling well.


7 comments:

Jill said...

It is a tough age and it makes me feel better to hear that 18 mos and then somewhere in the third year are the toughest. Celia generally has been super easy lately. Nicholas is pretty good when he has motrin or tylenol in him the last few days, lol. Perhaps they get the frustration and tempers at crossroads with milestones? Like cranky before crawling more and then maybe cranky before a verbal growth? I was just thinking the other day of doing a crabby video clip on my blog. lol We can compare notes then!

Rachael Schepemaker said...

What is the Noggin channel? I've never heard of it. Yep, your Kat sounds just like my Taylor. They are lucky they are so cute!

Jennifer said...

It is a tough age Joanna! But I am hoping this phase passes quickly and they get back to 'normal' soon!!!!

Josephine said...

Joanna, that video made me feel so much better about what has been going on in our house. I feel a little more "normal" knowing that others have the whineing stuff going on. Many many thanks!

jennbecc said...

I've been chalking mine up to molar and canine teething but maybe it's just the age...??? When Brian got home he told me to take a break and go upstairs with my laptop and blog but I told him I didn't want too because it would only be complaining that I could write about. I'M SO GLAD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE FRUSTRATED RIGHT NOW! I'm totallly going to take a video of the whiners too so Jill better as well! *L*

Brooke said...

So its not just me who is there? Brenna will whine and cry and throw a tantrum for no apparent reason.

I hope this phase goes fast too, but if its anything like before, it gets worse before better. (maybe I shouldn't have said that...sorry)

Anonymous said...

I can't stand the whining either. Maddox does it all the time. I think he is frustrated b/c he can't tell us what he wants. I can't wait until he is fully talking. HANG IN THERE!!!

Shelly