Today Greg and I celebrated our 11 year wedding anniversary. It was nice because we left the house with NO kids for the first time in a long time. Aunt Mandi (or aunt mimi as Kat & Brody call her) came over to baby-sit. She totally took charge and had all three kids in bed and the house cleaned by the time we got home. That was the best gift! Greg and I went to the movies and got sushi afterward. We saw the Green Zone. It was a good movie, but after seeing that, the Hurt Locker, District 9 and Inglorious Bastards this month, I'm ready for a chick flick. Or at least a comedy. We did see a preview for this that I'm DYING to see. I got goosebumps just watching.Just a few facts and tidbits:
• Greg and I met about 14 years ago. He was my first (and only) boyfriend.
• Greg is 7 years older than me.
• We met at the newspaper, where we both worked at the time.
• My mom and Greg knew each. They were coworkers and friends. Which makes me happy since she got to meet my husband before I did. And I think she would have approved. It's neat also to hear his memories of her.
• Greg has had every color of hair and mohawk that you can think of.
• The day I first saw Greg I was walking downtown by myself. I had just gotten off the city bus and was walking to the newspaper for my first day on the job. I passed a guy who was walking super fast down the same street. He had a green mohawk, tattoos and some chains hanging around his neck. I politely and subtly walk to the other side of the street as I clutched my back pack and art portfolio (I had just gotten out of school). He didn't even notice me. Later that same afternoon I saw him INSIDE the newspaper building. That's when I discovered that they actually let him work there like that.
• The picture above looks really nothing like us. But try taking a self portrait with a DSLR on manual with back button focus and then you'll end up sticking your head out like a bird and your daughter will have martian eyes.
• Greg and I grew up just miles from each other. We went to the same elementary school and high school. I'm sure we crossed paths many times and never knew it. Of course, when I was a kindergartner he was in 6th grade. SO that would have been a little weird. But it's neat that we can talk about thrifty ice cream or metro center mall and know exactly how the other person is picturing it.
• Greg is my best friend. He is my husband for life.

8 comments:
Awwww!!! Happy 11th Anniversary Pollings! What a terrific post! Love it and love the picture too!
happy anniversary!
and i hadn't heard of the human experience before. (i guess it isn't exactly something they'd preview between curious george and berenstain bears... the only things on my tv these days...) anyhow, it looks awesome!
Wow! Happy 11 years! I love the picture of you two - you look SO cute and Greg so handsome. :) So you figured out BBF on the rebel? Wow!
Thats something I need to learn (on my long list). Love the facts about you two.
Happy Anniversary! Thanks for sharing the story of you, it was a fun read. Congrats on having a real grown-up date too, those can be few & far between...
...that made my heart happy! Happy couples are an inspiration.
Girl, your forgot to mention for first date was at a cat show! And Greg went with you when you bought that scrappy ole cat Macy! And he got us Taco Bell after. Remember that? Girl, congratulations on your anniversary!!! A good man is hard to find, but you sure did find a good one.
aw! Happy Anniversary!! I loved reading all the facts and I still love the story of your first thoughts on Greg! You too really seem so happy together, and you are right, a good man is hard to find!!! I hope you enjoy a lifetime of happiness together!!
How sweet!!! Happy Anniversary to you 2 Love Birds! ;)
I saw some of those movies, too, and am ready for a chick flick. Especially after District 9- that was ridiculous! I really like that photo of y'all. I wish my "bad" photos came out that good!
Post a Comment