Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies

My favorite thing to bake are these *chocolate chip cookies. I think they are the best and I've made them so many times now that they have become a staple in our house. And I'm not really good in the kitchen, so this is one of a few recipes that I have that Kat, Brody and Quinn will grow up with. I remember my mom baking us chocolate chip cookies as kids. And how we would come home from school just about the time she was taking them out of the oven. I wish I knew her recipe. Along with her spaghetti sauce recipe, that was THE best. It makes me sad that I will never have that again. So I thought I should post this recipe for Kat, Brody & Quinn so that they will always have it. It's a Ms. Field's recipe:

*Blue-Ribbon Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter, softened
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (about 2 cups)

Yield: about 3 1/2 dozen cookies

• Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
• In medium bowl, combine flour, soda, and salt. Mix well with wire whisk. Set aside.
• In large bowl with an electric mixer, blend sugars at medium speed. Add butter and mix to form a grainy paste, scraping down the sides of the bowl Add eggs and vanilla extract, and mix at medium speed until just blended. Do not overmix.
• Add the flour mixture and chocolate chips, and blend at low speed until just barely mixed. Do not overmix.
• Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer cookies immediately to a cool surface with a spatula.

Riley helped me with today's batch. And Quinn hasn't had the benefit yet of having one of these cookies. She's still loving the Earth's Best baby cookie, which she gums and drools on for quite awhile before she drops it and starts crying. Kind of like that little baby fish in beginning of Nemo (you have to have had watched Nemo at least 50 times to know what scene I'm talking about). Makes me laugh every time.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

how special!!! I am SO glad you posted this! I have been wanting them and keep forgetting to ask you for the recipe again. Its on my old laptop and it went ker-plunk before I got all my stuff off of it! I am going to make these as soon as I get some choco chips!!!!

Jim and Cindy said...

That sonds soooo good right now...heck, just the dough sounds good right now!!! LOL!

Cass said...

Chocolate chip cookies are good. But the food/recipe item that reminds me most of your mom is steamed artichoke. I remember hanging out in your kitchen while you taught me how to scrape the leaves. I make that once in a blue moon now, and I always think of your mom when that happens--and also wonder why she let this hanger-on neighbor kid eat up the expensive produce, hello! LOL. Okay, so now I'm craving freshly baked chocolate chip cookies AND artichoke.

jennbecc said...

I'm going to try these too! Thanks! :)

Jill said...

I LOVE this recipe. I make it a couple times a month since you shared it. :) I added some wheat germ to it last time and it was pretty good (with added omega 3's and fiber from the wheat germ so that I can officially call them 'healthy cookies').