Friday, March 19, 2010

Stephanie's birthday

Today is Stephanie's 37th birthday. She's been gone almost 6 months now. I was going through some old pictures and found these. Actually, Brody found the one of her doing the chicken dance and brought it to me. She LOVED the chicken dance. And then the ones from my bridal shower. She threw that shower for me and she also threw my baby shower for Kat and Brody. She was excellent at things like that. She wanted to throw me a shower for Quinn but was just too sick to even really think about it. I'm just forever grateful that she got to be at the hospital when Quinn was born. She was going to be in the room with me but I had to have a c-section at the last minute. Today is also her son's birthday. I like knowing that they are celebrating together. Every day is so hard waking up knowing that she's not here. And there are some moments that are so small but so real that I actually think for a second when the phone rings it's her calling. We all miss her so much, it can't even be put in words and it is days like these that make the memories even stronger and harder. I look forward to the day when we can celebrate our birthdays together again. I hope there are cupcakes with cream cheese frosting in heaven for her right now.

5 comments:

stephanie said...

hugs :)

Iris said...

Sounds like your sister knew how to really let her hair down and celebrate life. She's probably doing that chicken dance up there in heaven, giving them all a run for their money.

Jill said...

wow. 6 months already. I think about her frequently even though I never knew her. But it really makes you realize how precious and short life is. Hugs, Joanna.

Vicki said...

Thinking of you, Joanna. Thanks for having the strength to share Stephanie with us.

Katie said...

Joanna,
Hearing you talk about Stephanie makes my heart break, but also makes me smile. That's because I am also getting to know what a beautiful person she was. From the chicken dance to her gorgeous children and the fun things you two did together. I know she cannot wait until you are with her there, too. Let's hope not for a long time, though. {hugs} ;)